Philosophy majors gain valuable skills for a wide range of careers, for law school and graduate school, and for living a good life.
Jeremy Dollar (B.A., '11)
faculty members (18 primary faculty and five with secondary appointments in philosophy), the largest philosophy department in Georgia.
philosophy majors and more than 70 minors.
students taught every year.
Faculty with affiliations across six university programs: Neuroscience, Law, Political Science, History, Psychology and Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies.
Master’s students, the largest Masters program in philosophy in the nation.
Philosophy studies the nature of reality and how we can understand it, so it offers interdisciplinary connections with all of the natural sciences and social sciences.
Here are some of the things the Department of Philosophy offers:
- A wide range of engaging courses, such as Mind & Brain, Sex & Love, The Rise of Modern Philosophy, Philosophy of Law and Moral Psychology.
- Small classes (20-35 students) for majors, taught by experienced faculty, that focus on interactive discussions and improvement of students' writing and critical-thinking skills.
- A commitment to educating the university’s diverse student body.
- Exchange programs with the University of Paris Sorbonne in France and the University of Bielefeld in Germany.
- See here for more about the value of a degree in Philosophy.
We will be sharing news and events. Sign up here to stay up to date.